I never knew the superhuman powers I was capable of until I became a mom. So many moms down play what they do all the time but I don’t know any other group of people that are able to accomplish more things at one time than moms can. Moms are capable of pulling off what seems to be the impossible on a regular basis. In my not so humble opinion, most moms are real life superheros because motherhood gives you these superhuman powers…
- X-ray Vision. Moms can see around corners and through walls. And yes we do have eyes in the back of heads.
- Super Human Strength. Besides carrying a growing human in our body while still carrying on with day-to-day life, Moms are able to hold babies in odd positions or carry 30+ lbs sleeping toddler for inordinate amounts of time. We can carry 8 grocery bags and a toddler that refuses to walk just so we can get in the house in one trip.
- Clairvoyant. Moms can sense everything. We know what our kids need even when they can’t speak and we know that something is going on when they won’t speak to us. It’s the mom sixth sense. And the more we trust that power the stronger it gets over time.
- Sonic hearing. This is a superpower moms are gifted the moment you bring your little one home. It’s suddenly possible to hear them breathing from across the room, hear them shift in the bed from down the hall and hear your older ones clear as a bell when they think they are out of your ear’s reach.
- Vanishing. When we need to, moms have the ability to vanish into thin air. Nowhere to be found by the kids or their partners because we need a minute to ourselves.
- Stealth Mode. When we want to, moms can move through the house unseen and unheard. Appear behind a child breaking the rules, magically walk up behind a kid right as throw a curse word out or be standing in the kitchen right as a kid attempts to sneak a cookie before dinner.
- Healing Touch. With one kiss, a gentle blow or a day full of snuggles, moms have the ability to make almost anything feel better.
- Human Lie Detector. Moms, and I would even argue most woman in general, are walking lie detector machines. We can see a lie coming out of our children’s mouths a mile away.
- Invisible Limbs. No one can multitask like a mom. We can cook dinner, hold a crying baby, answer a homework question and clean up a spill all while talking on the phone. Clearly there is no other explanation than we must have invisible limbs that allow us to do one million things all at once.
- Ninja-Like Reflexes. We can save a toddler from falling on the edge of furniture or catch a plate being pulled off the counter. We may injure our back or get a crick in our necks in the process but as long as the kid hasn’t suffered any injuries all is right with the world.
- Patience of 1,000 Men. You cannot understand the level of patience you are capable of until you have kids. When you can endure 20 screaming tantrums in the span of a day, repeating the same 3 phases 100 times a day, day in and day out, or 1,000 eyerolls from an attitude stricken teenager you know you have achieved superhuman levels of patience.
- Superhuman Endurance. There is no other explanation for how moms can manage to make it through full days on a few increments of 2-3 hours of sleep or manage to function through the flu and still care for her family.
- Sonic Scream. When a mom gets pissed off, her scream has the power to make anyone move their butt.
At the end of the day moms are just humans, but day in and day out moms manage to accomplish miracles that we don’t even think we are capable of and frankly that makes us superhuman.
Elisha Beach is a stay-at-home mom to four kids and stepmom to 4 step-“adults”…Yes, you read that right—eight kids. She is a wife, home cook, taxi driver, herder of children, terrible housekeeper and founder of The Mom Forum.
If you enjoyed this blog, be sure to subscribe to our email list to get more blogs like this straight to your inbox.