If you have children, especially young ones, you will spend an inordinate amount of time running after them- in the parking lot, at the playground, and even around the kitchen, trying to keep them safe and out of trouble. It’s an exhausting and sometimes herculean task, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be fashionable. Sure, you can wear sneakers all the time and be done with it, but it’s important to know that you don’t have to be totally casual just because you’re running after kids. It’s actually possible to stay stylish and be comfortable too. So here are some stylish summer shoes for moms to wear while chasing your children.
*This blog contains affiliate links.
- Birkenstocks – This is a super obvious, no brainer choice and cliche, but their sandals are unbelievable. They are extraordinarily comfortable if you have long distances to walk, especially in the heat because they have a soft footbed option, so your feet don’t stick to the insoles. They have various leathers ranging from stiffer to soft suede and vegan options like plastic, felted fabric and more. They’ve done a great job at shedding their patchouli-wearing, incense-burning hippie image and impressively update their styles seasonally. They are also excellent for wide or swollen (pregnancy water weight!) feet because many styles have adjustable buckle straps.
- Cole Haan Zerogrand – The CH Zero Grand collection is a collaboration with Nike, so despite the outer appearance of shoes, the inner and outer soles are crafted with sneaker technology, thus making this collection particularly comfortable. They have a lot of options from heels to flats, platforms, and sneakers. I often find CH too narrow for my slightly-wider-than-average feet, but I recently found a style that fits perfectly because it has a round toe box. The Grand Crosscourt suede sneaker with a low profile and contrasting sole elevates the everyday sneaker to beyond the gym. The Rose Gold Foil Metallic Leather is so much fun for spring and summer, but if leather is too hot, try the breezy Grand Crosscourt Knit II. You won’t be disappointed.
- ILSE JACOBSEN Tulip – I recently moved, so what better way to support my new community’s local economy than with my shoe buying habit?! I found a great local boutique that sells mostly European shoe brands (my favorites) and there I discovered the Isle Jacobsen Hornbaek brand. I fell in love with the Women’s Tulip 139 Flat and restrained myself from buying more than one pair. But now that I’ve worn them almost every day solidly for two months I will buy more! They come in an array of colors and two finishes, either matte or metallic. I can’t sing my praises enough: comfortable as sneakers, but more stylish, removable insole to accommodate orthotics, breathable in the heat because of the perforations, yield gently to the shape of your feet, super flexible outer sole and no socks needed, making them so easy to just slip on and go. They also have a backless slip-on option, which is not my style, but you might prefer it.
- Arche Open-Toe Pump – This French brand is definitely on the pricey side, but worth it for French style, mais non? They have an amazing plethora of styles for all seasons and some wonderfully bright colors (neon purple suede, anyone?!) and quirky color combinations. But what I adore is that they have truly walkable heels so that you can still look good and walk all day in them, without sore feet. I own two booties and three sandals which is more than $1000 worth of shoes! But I have worn them for years because they are built to last; they will even resole them for you. My summer go to is the Women’s Exor Open-Toe Pump, described as a sophisticated pump with open-air construction and adjustable backstrap and I can’t argue with this. It’s nubuck, with a flattering and easy to balance on 2″ cylindrical cone heel constructed of latex, and is scratch and water resistant. What more does a woman need?
- Cordani Raine – I said I wanted to support my new community, right? Well, the fourth pair of shoes (?!) I bought from that same local shoe boutique as aforementioned, is from an Italian company called Cordani. Their shoes are super stylish and they tend to make a wide selection of wedges at different heights. I love wedges because I find them wonderfully walkable compared to cigarette heels or kitten heels and measuring up at a scant 5’1″, I need all the height I can get! Being a City chick I can’t forego my love of black, even in the summer, so when I found the Raine wedge I fell in love. It’s black, silver, feminine, edgy and sexy all in one and for sure passes for stylish summer shoes.
Monique Marco is an Ashtanga-based vinyasa yoga teacher who loves urban life and etas dark chocolate every day. She’s also a certified make-up artist and image consultant specializing in natural skin-care, beauty and eco-fashion.
If you enjoyed this blog, be sure to subscribe to our email list to get more blogs like this straight to your inbox.