Your period, menstrual cycle, that time of the month or the monthly visit from Aunt Flo… What ever you call it can be a real pain in the butt. The bloating, the mood swings, cramping, leaking, headaches and the list of worries just goes on and on. It is definitely not one of my favorite things about being a mom. But the good news is we are no longer stuck with just the standard pad or tampon options. If you haven’t noticed yet the products available to us ladies for our menstrual cycle are finally catching up to the times. After having issues with tampons and hating the feeling of pads, I have been on a mission to find things that make that time of the month just a little more tolerable. So here are products for your period that you should know about.
*This blog includes affiliate links.
- DivaCup Menstrual Cup. The DivaCup has changed my life. I no longer need to stock hoards or pads and tampons under my sink or worry that I have some on my person. I know some people think its a little gross but I promise it’s super easy to use and clean. I am no doctor but I also believe that using the DivaCup reduced my flow during my cycle and I experience much less cramping since switching. Not to mention, you will significantly reduce your waste.
- Leakproof Period Panties. The worst thing ever when on your period is constantly worrying if your a spotting and feeling the need to check your crotch area n a hourly basis to ensure you are all good. Second to that is worrying about spotting or leaking while you are sleeping at night and ruining your sheets. “Period” panties can put these worries behind you and they even have some brands in thongs. Not to mention that it also works for those of us with weak bladders thanks to having kiddos.
- Menstrual Cramps Heat Therapy Patches. Heating pads can be a life saver during your cycle but life doesn’t stop just because Aunt Flo decided to pay a visit and heating pads don’t easily travel. Heat patches can be a quick fix for days that you can snuggle in a bed with a heating pad wrapped around your abdomen…which is most days. I keep these in my bag or car and stick one on when I need it.
- Menstrual Discs – 14ct. These are a great alternative to tampons. They are super easy to use and can last for up to 12 hours. One box can last you for at least 4 cycles which in the long run is a much cheaper option. And FYI…you can wear these and still have sex. Win!
- Dear Kate Go Kommando Yoga Capri. I think that most of us wish we could live in yoga pants for every day that we are on our period. They are much more conducive to bloating and cramping than work pants or jeans. On top of that, no sweat stains and it won’t matter if you aren’t able to squeeze your legs before you sneeze.
Elisha Beach is a stay-at-home mom to four kids and four step-kids…Yes, you read that right—eight kids. She is a wife, home cook, taxi driver, herder of children, terrible housekeeper and founder of The Mom Forum.
If you enjoyed this blog, be sure to subscribe to our email list to get more blogs like this straight to your inbox and receive a free printout of “Mom Mantras” that will inspire you throughout your day.