*This blog contains affiliate links.
Summer time is usually all about the kids. Summer vacations to kid-friendly places, summer camp that cost an arm and a leg, beach days and trips to amusement parks that will drain you of all your energy. But moms should get a little time for fun this summer that doesn’t include the kids. So here is a list of fun summer activities for moms to enjoy…
- Go to the beach alone. Summer time is beach time and that usually means lugging a crap load of stuff for all your kiddos and spending your day screaming at your kids to stop throwing sand and they are too deep in the water. How does going alone sound? Bring an amazing book, some trashy magazines, a comfy beach chair and a mini speaker to listen to music or a podcast and some delicious adult finger foods. Lay on the beach, take a nap and pretend like you don’t have any kids. It’s like a mini day-cation.
- Take a day trip. Go to the local winery or day spa. Visit your favorite outlet shopping mall or make a special trip to the next town over to explore. Just get away for the day and do something only you would like.
- Have a girl’s night out. It’s summer and there is no homework to get done and it’s too hot to make some intricate dinner…So get your girls and go have a girls’ night out. See a comedy show, go to a delicious restaurant or grab a couple of cocktails together. Laugh and chat the night away.
- Attend an outdoor concert. When was the last time you saw one of your favorite artist in concert? The summer is good for outdoor concerts or music festivals. Get a ticket for you and someone else and go. Let your hair down, fan girl out, sing at the top of your lungs and dance like no one is watching because your kids won’t be there to tell you how embarrassing you are.
- Dine al fresco. Put your kids to bed and have a romantic meal filled with all the things your kids won’t eat and an adult conversation with no interruptions under the stars. Just be sure to put out a Citronella candle to ward off those pesky mosquitos.
- Learn a new skill. Surfing classes anyone? It doesn’t have to be anything big. Take a one day surfing class or sign up for a 2 hour pottery workshop or go all out sign up for a 6 week course at your local college to learn a new language or write poetry. There has got to be something you have been longing to learn.
- Read a trashy novel. Your kids usually have a summer reading list and so should you. And at least one of those books should be a trashy novel. It should be fun, a little risky and require little to effort…You should read it with no shame or guilt and if you are lucky it might even spice things up a little in the bedroom. You are welcome!
- Take morning walks. A brisk walk in the morning can be so refreshing and help you clear your mind for the day. You can beat the heat and feel good that you managed to get in some form of exercise for the day. Not only that, you get some quiet time to yourself without your kids interrupting your thoughts.
- Send post cards to your mom friends. Get yourself some cute stationary or post cards and write a quick note to a few of your mom friends that you don’t always get to catch up with. What a treat to get something in the mail that isn’t a bill or a penny saver magazine.
- Complete a workout challenge. Almost every year so many of us start diet plans or workout plans to achieve the “summer body” that we want and so often we don’t reach those unrealistic goals. So create a workout challenge for the summer that is actually simple and attainable. Try something like jumping rope for 10 mins a day, yoga for 15 mins a day or a 30 day pushup challenge.
- Get a mani/pedi. It’s summer time and time to bring out all the open toe cute sandals which means your pale crusty feet could probably use a little TLC…So schedule yourself a professional mani/pedi and sit back and enjoy. And you can even take it a step further and get a bright summer color or even a cute design. And good for you if this is already a regular part of your selfcare.
- Go on an outdoor adventure. Most of us don’t have the time or much less the energy to get out and enjoy the beautiful nature around us. Go on a hike in your local trails, enjoy a few hours canoeing, whitewater rafting or maybe you are even crazy enough to jump out of a plane.
Moms deserve some fun too. So, this summer, make it a priority and do something out of the norm and for the pure enjoyment of it. We spend so much time planning all the good stuff for our families and we forget to put fun on the lists for ourselves. So, plan a summer activity just for mom with no guilt attached.
Elisha Beach is a stay-at-home mom to four kids and four step-kids…Yes, you read that right—eight kids. She is a wife, home cook, taxi driver, herder of children, terrible housekeeper and founder of The Mom Forum.
If you enjoyed this blog, be sure to subscribe to our email list to get more blogs like this straight to your inbox.