Having a baby turns your world upside down and suddenly you can’t seem to find the time to get anything done. You can forget about keeping laundry and dishes under control for awhile and you may not even shower or much less drink water or eat without a baby hanging from you for a while. There seems to be a tiny human attached to you 24/7 and you feel like you are losing your mind. It seems like you are never going to get back to some semblance of normal and will forever be functioning in life with only one hand free. But here are some helpful baby products that make life easier for new moms and possibly allow you accomplish a few things with both hands.
*This blog includes affiliate links.
- Water Sling. Is it impossible to shower without your little one screaming their head off? It may be phantom cries but one way or the other it is impossible to get a full shower in when you haver to check on your baby every 2 minutes. Are you also scared to death if you bring them in the shower you will drop them? Well, you put the baby in a water sling and safely bath you and baby without worrying about the baby having a crying fit or dropping that squirmy, soapy baby. And you both will feel much better after a nice warm shower. And bonus…this sling can be used for when you want to take your baby in a pool or other water play activities.
- Baby Bouncer. Need time to eat, fold laundry or cook a meal and you would like to use both of your hands to get the job done? This is also if you don’t want to shower with baby or your little angel screams like they are being tortured iF a drop of water touches them. Just put them in the bouncer right in front of your shower. They key is to make sure to pick a bouncer that is completely portable so you can move it to whatever room you want.
- Play Mat. This is for the little ones that can’t sit up on their own yet but can hold their neck up. Give them a little tummy time while you get a little hands free time. They get stimulated and you get a quick break. It’s a win/win situation.
- Baby Carrier. Some babies just need to be held 24/7 and scream the moment you so much as think of putting them down. Meanwhile, laundry is piling up, the house looks like a disaster area and no one has eaten a decent meal in weeks. Just know that all of this is normal and all mommas experience some form of this. Just find a baby carrier that you like that will snuggle that sweet little thing right against your bosom and you will be on your way to your new normal sooner than later. There are wraps like Baby K’tan that are great for infants and you can also get a sling or more structured carrier that can grow with baby.
- Baby Lounger. Babies have completely unpredictable sleeping schedules and moms have to take full advantage of every nap in order to get anything done. When those little ones finally do go to sleep you have to have somewhere to put them and there isn’t always room for a playpen or crib in a room. So for the little ones that are not yet rolling over, a Snuggle Me Original or Dock-A-Tot is a must have and can be placed on the couch or in the middle of the bed.
- Baby Activity Center. This can keep older babies occupied for quite sometime. Once they are sitting up on their own you place them in an activity center for a little play time while you get dinner made, a load of laundry folded or clear enough dishes to be able to see your counter. You most likely won’t get it all done but…hey, one step at a time.
Life with a new baby is not an easy adjustment and takes time. So give yourself some grace, allow for a little extra mess around the house, ask for help and enjoy all the baby snuggles you can.
Elisha Beach is a stay-at-home mom to four kids and four step-kids…Yes, you read that right—eight kids. She is a wife, home cook, taxi driver, herder of children, terrible housekeeper and founder of The Mom Forum.